Friday, August 21, 2009

Pumpkins

This year I decided to try growing pumpkins because every year my wife buys so many of them every year to decorate around the front and back yard that it isn't funny or cheap anymore. Well I learned the spot I picked and tried to contain the plants in wasn't a big enough space for these long growing plants. I planted 5 seeds in the ground spaced about 8 inches between each in late May with the hopes that maybe 2 or 3 would take. All the seeds started growing but it did take a while, it took almost 7 weeks of patiently waiting to see if they would actually start to bloom. After the 1st ten days in the ground they did start to grow out but they dod take a long time to start getting bigger. Over the past 2 weeks I've noticed alot of pumpkins starting to grow and in the past few days we've had alot of rain and the little pumpkins are now the size of volleyballs so come Halloween I'm going to have alot of huge pumpkins for free :). With the pumpkins all you need to do is give them lots of water maybe once every 2 to 3 days in but in the beginning stages before the plant starts to blooming flowers I would water them everyday that it doesn't rain just to ensure thier getting enough water(all I did was water them for about 4-5 minutes each evening to give the roots a good drink). Pumpkins are great and easy because you really don't have to do much to help them along except water them. Since this was my 1st year growing them and didn't know what to expect size wise I had to cut the boards off the back side of my garden and turn the branches from the pumpkin plant to grow out that way so it had more room. Next year now that I know how big the plants get I'm planting them in the back corner of my yard by themselves. I'll post some pictures of the pumpkins and plants soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi -- I enjoy reading your gardening posts. I am interested in buying some land and would like to plant a large garden on it. Our choice of location is Cochrane Ontario. However, I understand that the growing season is quite short up there. Is it possible to grow a garden in Cochrane -- what would be the best choice of vegetables?

    ReplyDelete