Friday, September 25, 2009

Corn

This year growing corn has been hard with this horrible weather(I mean very little rain and alot of heat at the end of the season). My corn stalks like alot of others are very thin and weak but are still growing corn. Mine are still growing but I had to reinforce the stacks with sticks to hold them up so the corn can keep growing and the stalks themselves don't break and die. This was my 1st year growing corn and I learned 1 thing...do not follow the packet instructions. It said to put 2-3 seeds per hole which I did then weed out the smallest plants only leaving 1 in each spot. Well I tried that and the roots inner twine so you end up pulling them all out by accident. I planted some with just 1 seed in each and thier doing perfectly fine. So I would say plant 1 seed per hole and see what happens because if not you'll end up like mine. It's late in the season now but with this weather I may end up getting some nice corn out of mine. Right now my cobs are about 6 inches long and keep getting bigger every day so we'll see what happens. The key to growing corn is to make sure it's in a spot where it can get alot of sun all day long and plenty of water on the roots(not the entire plant). A great spot that not many use is beside a shed, garage or fence where it gets alot of sun during the day and just do 1 straight row instead of multiple rows. This is how my neighbor has grown corn for years and always gets lots of corn(sweet corn). Planting next to a garage, shed or fence also keeps it out of the way of any traffic in the yard. Also if you plant corn in your garden make sure it's in a spot where it will get alot of sun but won't block your other plants from the sun as it grows taller.

1 comment:

  1. Great beginnings of a great blog. I am a backyard gardener too. I have added your blog to Blogger's cafe: http://avarchives.blogspot.com/ in Library 4 - Gardening Blogs (new category).
    Check it out, good luck.

    AV

    ReplyDelete